At my office, we use many different architectural corrugated panels as design elements in our design. Modeling in Revit seems to be a bit of challenge. Since the panel can be as thick as 4" sometimes 6" at one point, using basic wall to represent the idea sometimes just doesn't cut it. Therefore, I came up with the idea using curtain wall to model as corrugated panel, which looks something like this:
So, the idea of using a solid cutting out the curtain panel has become another layer of challenge. Inspired by Kelvin's post, I wanted to try for myself to use other languages in the model text and use them for cutting. From his tips, using Google Translate is probably the easiest way to get all the text I need to test it. In my case, I use the word "Welcome" from different languages.
|Corrugated panel modeled as curtain wall|
All I need to do is copy and paste from Google translate to the instance parameter from my family...
Google translate offers over 70 different languages, I was very impressed by how easy it is to convert one language to another; Revit seems to take it pretty well and display it as model text.
However, once I used the model text on the corrugated panel, I started to see some unstable behavior. Since the corrugated panel is made up with nothing but curtain mullion, in order to let the solid to cut out the "panel", I had to make multiple cuts on the panel. In some case, I was able to make a clean cut to the entire panel, like this:
Other times, it is not as I expected, I get warnings like this for a few times on some words/characters:
It left me with some unlikeable result:
This also happened to the word "welcome" in Russian:
In conclusion, I think using a combination of this trick with Google translate worked out pretty well to my satisfaction. At the end, I was able to get different languages on a plain curtain panel.