Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Color Fill Your RCP

A question was asked recently by a designer in our Chicago office. He wants to apply "color scheme" for different ceiling height areas in the RCP (Reflected Ceiling Plan). Revit doesn't support such a feature under the RCP properties which only floor plan does.

One can set the color scheme and "color fill" the rooms in floor plans.

Plan Properties with Color Scheme
RCP Properties (No Color Scheme)


The purpose of color-fill ceiling areas so that the project team can easily identify ceiling height in order to coordinate with MEP consultants to have sufficient plenum space.

At first, I was't sure it was even possible but I knew there should be a way to achieve this in native Revit setting. (Hint: Without using Dynamo) After tinkering in the filter setting and I realize one can set the "Height Offset From Level" as a filter rule; it started to make sense I could set up a series a filter with different "Ceiling Height".





All I have to do now is to apply these filters under Visibility/Graphic (VG) and change the Projection/Surface pattern of different ceiling height filters with different colors (blue, magenta, purple, orange, etc...)


Choose "Solid Fill" for Patterns



Ta-da!
I would apply these filters to a view template and use it on other levels for the color filled RCP. 




This works very well in 3D view as well. =)


**I think this could be achieved with Dynamo. Ping me and share your Dynamo workflow with me.**

11 comments:

  1. Hi Philip:
    I took a stab at the Dynamo graph. My solution is REALLY primitive so I am sure there are other Dynamo experts out there that can do something much more sophisticated. But this gets the job done.
    https://app.box.com/s/820u000bw5m4vorvkz671ueolc3f0oo8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      Good to see your comment here. Thanks for sharing your Dynamo script! I will check it out.

      Cheers,

      Philip

      Delete
    2. Hi Paul!

      First of all thanks for posting the script. However for some unknown reason when I tried to access it I could not see it. Is there something else I need to do to access the file.

      Thanks again

      Igm

      Delete
  2. Pretty handy little workflow. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Phillip!. Great minds - same channel!
    I've been working on the same thing lately.
    I've got one filter that color codes by Ceiling Height, and another by Type.
    Very useful for coordination. We've even used these Views with the client to verify finishes.
    It's a bit painful to set up all of the filters, so I thought I could do it in Dynamo instead of manually. Sadly, Dynamo doesn't have a node for Filters yet. Probably possible in Python, but that's way beyond me.
    One thing I did to help was to add a Ceiling Schedule that does not Itemize Instances and is sorted by Height (or Type). That wasy at least you get a list of the Filters you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phil, it may or may not be of interest to your followers however ARUtils will let you easily create what you have done. It automatically creates the filters based on any parameter and its associated values, assigns them to a view (or views), and then automatically assigns an override. You can also update multiple views to use consistent filter overrides.

    You can also apply "Tape" to walls to indicate things like Fire Rating, Finish, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips, will need to start with this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phil, great method! I don't have Height Offset From Level in the filter rules list though, using Revit 2017. Is it possible to add it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Unknown", that parameter is a built-in Ceiling Parameter. Should be there.

    I'd forgotten about this thread (over a year old).
    I have recently works on a Dynamo graph to automatically generate the necessary filters. It has a few requirements - too long to post here. I'll post it to the Dynamo sub on RFO

    ReplyDelete